• November 4, 2023 12:37 am

Eskom and Vodacom to Complete Midrand Campus Solar PV Project by Year-End

Sep 30, 2023
Eskom and Vodacom to Complete Midrand Campus Solar PV Project by Year-End

Eskom and Vodacom are collaborating to finalize the Midrand Campus Solar PV Project by the end of this year. This project involves the installation of solar photovoltaic (PV) panels at Vodacom’s campus in Midrand, South Africa.

Eskom and Vodacom to Complete Midrand Campus Solar PV Project by Year-End

Vodacom’s Transformation to Solar Power

Eskom Vodacom is on track to complete its Midrand campus transformation into a grid-based solar photovoltaic plant by December, ahead of schedule.

This project includes the installation of over 11,000 solar photovoltaic panels covering more than 30,000 square meters of rooftops and carports. The 6.2 megawatt peak solar project is expected to reduce demand on the national grid by over 25% during peak generation periods and lead to an annual reduction of nearly 11,000 tons of greenhouse gas emissions.

Energy Efficiency Preparation

Before implementing the solar project, Vodacom South Africa focused on energy efficiency measures for approximately eight years, resulting in a 54% reduction in energy consumption. This step was taken to maximize efficiency before transitioning to green power sources.

Energy Consumption Breakdown

The energy consumption at Vodacom’s Midrand campus is distributed with 70% going to facilities like warehouses, offices, and data centers, while the remaining 30% is allocated to commercial or office space.

First On-Site Power Purchase Agreement

The Midrand project is the first on-site power purchase agreement (PPA) in the Vodafone Group. Despite logistical challenges, it has progressed ahead of schedule.

Interest in Similar Projects Across Vodafone Group

The successful implementation of the Midrand project has sparked interest in similar initiatives across the Vodafone Group. Feasibility studies are being conducted on office buildings and data centers, with potential installations.

Green Leases and Environmental Practices

Vodacom is discussing the introduction of green leases and practices with property owners of its leased buildings to further promote environmental sustainability.

Future Plans for Battery Energy Storage

Vodacom plans to introduce battery energy storage at its Midrand campus to ensure power supply during Eskom load shedding and power failures. A feasibility study will determine the best battery technology for the project, and similar initiatives may be implemented across Vodacom’s footprint.

Environmental Integration in Corporate Culture

The company aims to build a culture that integrates environmental concerns within its DNA as it moves forward, emphasizing energy efficiency, conservation, and sustainability.

Vodacom is committed to reducing its carbon footprint and contributing to environmental conservation through its renewable energy initiatives.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *